Here are some more nuggets for writers:
1. Keep the wording simple and easy to follow.
2. Watch your word count. Ideally, you want to keep your book between 40,000 and 100,000 words.
3. Avoid overwriting ( i.e. The stifling and choking smoke made it hard to breathe. VS. The smoke was stifling.) Notice the difference. This is something every writer will struggle with from time to time.
4. Write dialogue that fit the characters and time.
5. Indent and use quotation marks to indicate character dialogue.